Friday, July 30, 2010

How many of the ';parenting rules'; do you break?

Whenever I read posts on this, I'm amazed to find out how many people put blankets in baby's crib, turn car seats forward before age 1, put cereal in bottles, offer high-allergen foods too early, and so on and so on.


What rules have you or are you breaking?How many of the ';parenting rules'; do you break?
Our baby sleeps with us and is going to be breastfed until she is 18 months old...that's the only 2 though that I can think of. I don't particularly care if it's breaking any rules though...it worked for our son- and it's doing the same for our daughter.





We don't do any of the things listed above.How many of the ';parenting rules'; do you break?
((((Berrel))))


Thank you for that! I hope so!


Good luck to you!

Report Abuse



we did the cereal thing, but it didn't seem to help so we stopped. Our daughter was also above the weight before age 1, so she got turned around in the carseat a little early. Apparently we gave a gave her p-nut butter to early ( age 1) according to her sitter and we found a babyfood (gerber) that had strawberries in it (which also freaked her out). She also started sleeping on her tummy around 4 months (but I freaked out about it every night until she was 8 months)
its not like people are just like I am going to break rule 1-20. I have twins and they say dont prop there bottles up. But I have yet to see anyone be able to hold to kids and feed them bottles at the same time becuase my kids like to be feed at the same time! My kids sleep in the bed with us it makes them happy and they sleep better that way. for me its not about breaking rules its about what works for me and my kids.
i find breaking the rules you mentioned too risky for me and my child . so i would have to say i wouldnt dare break any
In our limited defense, these ';rules'; sometimes appear after we are already breaking them.


I slept with all my babies, introduced milk to my first child at age 4 months, breastfed throughout 2 pregnancies, gave all of them peanut butter before they were a year old, let them sleep with blankets or anything else that happened to be in our bed, didn't even have a car seat for my first child until he was a few months old, and the ultimate rule that would make me a bad mother and land me in jail: I let my first child sleep in the car while I ran into the store for a quick item.


It's a wonder they survived but they are all grown and doing well. If I knew then what I know now, I sure would have not done most of it. (Like leaving a kid alone in the car). But I don't regret the co-sleeping; I can see that it was beneficial to all of my kids. They are all kind and loving people.
I let my 6 month old sleep with her fav blanket but only when i'm around and once she falls asleep and i leave the room I take it so she can't suffocate herself, And I only put cereal in her bottle once and sometimes she sleeps in my bed with me
I think ';they'; make some of this stuff up because of ignorant parents. My kids all slept with a blanket and on their sides. My oldest even slept on his tummy! You have to trust your insticts just as much as you listen to your doctor. Our moms and grandmoms have wonderful advice if you ask them for it. Talk to other moms too for their opinions about what worked for them and what didn't. Don't get me wrong some of the stuff ';they'; come up with is very good advice, other stuff is just balogna if you ask me!
i have to say i have broken all the rules. And i dont even care what anyone says my doctor was the one to tell me to put cereal in the bottle and start feeding her rice cereal and oat cereal. If your kid is going to be allergic to something they are going to be allergic to something. Its usually passed on like allergies to dogs and cats.. and dust and smoke... come on!!! Our parents did it and their parents before them. And i turned out just great. I have a 4 month old and a 6 year old. My 4 month is eating cereal, arrowroot cookies, baby foods such as peas, peaches, sweet potatoes. And she is loving them :)





My baby is a pukie baby and thats why i started to put her on these items she is now throwing up less and gaining weight. My doctor was quite concerned about her weight gain. She was 7 12 when born and now she (at 4 months) only weighted 11 pounds.. so i have had her on cereal and baby food for just over 2 weeks and she has gained 3 pounds.


I was worried there for a little while.





As for the car seat thing.. i wouldn't do it.. plus its against the law no?? or maybe just in canada??





and as for blankets my daughter needs one to sleep or she wouldn't sleep at all. Her crib is in our bedroom.. and if you put a blanket over your face what happens??? its not plastic wrap for crying out loud... or a bath tub full of water..
different children react and like different things.


Who decides on these ';rules';


i personally think the only really bad thing is feeding high-allergen foods.


That could seriously kill your baby.


Ceral in bottles isnt going to hurt your child its just going to make it harder for yourself in the long run. I had to turn my baby around in the car seat before one because she got the weight requirment. and blankets in cribs....the whole cot death thing....although it increases the chances no one knows for sure what causes it.


babies dont suffarcate they stop breathing. my friend died at 13 from cot death so you can tell me it was because the blanket was up round her head.


We are the parents so unless your neglectful the lil rules we ';break'; dont matter!
I think people want there babies to grow up to fast. I have an 11 month old and i have followed everything ( i am trying to hold onto my baby) but my first i was the same. started him on food too early, turned the carseat around. I agree with you. I am holding onto this baby though, they grow up to quick
I gave my daughter water at 4 weeks, and when she started rejecting it at 7 weeks, I started putting a teeny tiny bit of juice in it. She poops better, less screaming and carrying on...makes things easier for her and for me. Juice is better than sugar in the water anyways... although the nutritional content is low, at least it is there! Apparently you aren't supposed to give your child water or anything before, what? 6months? She doesn't fill up on it, still eats her regular meals, poops better... no harm done. All she gets is an oz or two a day... I would never replace a meal!





i never let her ';cry it out'; (she is 9 weeks). I consider this child abuse at this age... she cries because she NEEDS something! Not because she wants candy, a new toy, or tv at bedtime! I will NOT neglect her needs. I guess I am a bad mother for not neglecting/abusing my child that way!
Well it depends on what source of information you use as to what the ';rules'; are but for what is probably mainstream:





* I co-sleep


* I don't care that my 16 month old still wakes at night because I know its normal


* I ';still'; breastfeed, even though he is over a year. Because I know it is best to nurse for at least two years


* I breastfeed even though I am pregnant


* I don't use infant cereal because it is junk food


* I started solids at 6.5 months, I don't believe it is every right to start before then. I wanted to wait until 7 months to reduce the risk of anemia but I had to admit he was better (I kept finding grass in his diaper)


* I didn't start grains until 9 months (because babies can't digest grains, and grains are nutritionally poor)


* I started meat almost as soon as I started solids


* I didn't use baby food, I used baby-led introduction to solids


* I didn't introduce one food at a time, I let my son eat what I was eating (following certain rules). If he has a reaction then I will slowly reintroduce the foods he had in the last day or so. So far he has only reacted once.


* I only avoided the top 9 allergens for 12 months, not all the crazy rules


* I didn't give any supplements to my breastfed baby, not vitamin D, not iron, not fluoride, not anything. Because these things are worse than unnecessary they are dangerous.


* I don't cut grapes and hotdogs into quarters because my son knows what chewing is, he doesn't really know how to eat solids without chewing.


* I am doing delayed vaccination

No comments:

Post a Comment