Friday, November 25, 2011

Does anyone have any helpful parenting techniques to stop yelling at the children?

I adore my children and know that they're still learning and sometimes test their boundaries but I need some helpful techniques to stop me from yelling.


If you're going to be judgmental please do not reply. Thank you!!Does anyone have any helpful parenting techniques to stop yelling at the children?
i yell at my children to, i think it is a learning habit, my mother yells too, but i found it helpful if i just look at them in there eyes and and then they walk away, another helpful tip is take deep breathes if you feel the need to yell, or just walk away and then go back to the situation a second later and talk in a calm tone. it's going to be hard, trust me i have a wild two year old who is all over the place like she is now. We all need to calm down and take a step back from them. another tip is, go outside and get air or count to ten. that helps too.


good luck, we all need it.Does anyone have any helpful parenting techniques to stop yelling at the children?
i am a single parent too, it gets better when they get old, trust me. good luck

Report Abuse



Well, from my perspective, I lived in a home where my mom yelled over every little thing. It was as if she did not know how to have a normal conversation with someone. She just yelled all the time, mad or not. My mom would yell at me, and then come into my room 10 minutes later and give me the same old story: ';I'm sorry I yelled, hunny. I'm stressed out. That's the last time. I'll try to stop.'; And then the next day she'd be screaming over something else. Oh, and I do mean she screamed over EVERYTHING: water spots on the silverware, if my bed wasn't made perfectly, if she didn't get her way with my dad, etc.





From that, I learned that talk is cheap. Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today. If you want to stop yelling, start making that effort today. Is there an underlying issue? Are you taking your work/relationship stress out on your kids? Are you teaching them to behave well and respect you, or just yelling at them when they're misbehaved? Etc. The underlying source needs to be nipped in the bud. When you want to react by yelling, take 10 seconds and turn around, close your eyes, breathe deeply, and repeat to yourself, ';This is no big deal. It's not worth a fight.'; Maybe you could do something on a daily basis to relax: eat healthier, go for a morning jog or an evening walk, put the kids to bed 1/2 an hour earlier so you can take a hot bubble bath, get lunches packed and clothes laid out the night before so you can get ready without feeling rushed in the mornings. Have your kids pack their own lunches and set their bookbags by the door at night. Add some structure to your life. Etc.





I'm sure you love your kids a lot, or you wouldn't be trying to get help. Please be sure they know that though because I did not feel loved growing up.
Sounds like you need some time to relax.





I remember a while back I was potty training my 2 yr old, had a 6 mo old and a new puppy. That day the 2 yr old kept having accidents, the 6mo old was nursing and had dirty diapers at least 4 times a day and the puppy wasn't housebroken and kept going on the rug. The whole day it felt like I had my hands either poo or pee. By the time my husband got home I was ready to pull my hair out. I screamed at him ';If I have to touch poop one more time today I am going to go insane!!'; I handed him the baby and locked myself in the bathroom for an hour. I got out the bubbles, the loofa, lit some candles and turned on the radio. By the time I got out dinner was done, we sent the kids to bed and spent hours laying in bed talking like a couple instead of like a mom and a dad. That turned out to be my best day.





I still take a bit of time for myself. Sometimes the day is too busy to do it each and every day. A soak in the tub, a short walk on a nice day, or a drive downtown singing along to the radio can change my mood and wash away my worries in no time. I have even taken the kids along with me on the drive. My kids like to fall asleep in the car so while they slept I pretended I was alone.





Every mom goes through this. Find ways to relax and get yourself doing something else before you start yelling. When the kids break your favorite lamp, throw them into the car or go for a walk then come back and deal with the mess.
I know what you mean, I love my daughter soooo much, but sometimes she really aggravates me! I catch myself yelling at her, and then (even though she's only three years old) I go and apologize to her and tell her I'm sorry and hold her for a little while and give her hugs and kisses.Are you a stay at home mom? If so maybe getting more time to yourself will help. I know that after I have a couple of hours to myself, it really helps. If you are a working mom, still just having some time by yourself helps. I am currently a stay at home mom, but I was working, and so I know that either way, you still need some me time! Good luck and I hope this helps!
learn to recognize your stressful moments %26amp; the events that lead up to them. start taking a time out -they work for parents, too. allow them to ';test their boundaries'; in a safe environment -it's very healthy %26amp; natural. when you feel like yelling, whisper instead. spend more time talking with them instead of telling them what to do.
I have the same problem with my son. Love him like crazy but he has behavior problems and yes, he pushes the limits, too like all other kids. I have tried Time-Out. Doesn't work. I've tried extra homework. Doesn't work. I've tried taking away privileges. Don't EVER let anyone tell you THAT works because it doesn't. What seems to work with him is if I've told him over and over and over, then I set the timer and tell him he's not allowed to talk til it goes off. It calms Me down. Sorta like Mommy in a time-out. If he does what he's supposed to, we both get a treat (which to him means the world if we walk around the block together). Mommy is calmed down, kid's feelings aren't hurt, and we're both smiling.
If you have trouble with yelling maybe an anger management program would be of benifit to you in dealing with the feelings that cause you to yell....


I know when i get to that point i simply tell my daughter that i need a time out from her and come back to the situation when ive calmed down and shes ready to listen.
First of all your human and you are emotional. Maintaining your cool is difficult after having to repeat yourself over and over. What I found to help for me is a healthy diet and exercise. I felt so much better on the inside, more relax that I found that I was calmer with everyone.
Time out is great - for you and for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment