Friday, November 25, 2011

When raising kids do any parents read parenting books?

I know there are a lot of parenting books out there, child psychology books, baby and me, etc. I know there are psychological theories about the stages that a child goes through when growing up, and I am a firm believer of it. Do any parents agree? And the ones that do, do you find the books helpful? And the ones that don't, why? I talked to my mom, and she told me that she never read any of those books, and well I turned out just fine! I'm going to medical school and going to be a doctor soon.When raising kids do any parents read parenting books?
I loved the what to expect series...What to Expect the First Year, and What to Expect the Toddler Years. They were really informative. I liked that they broke down child development month by month, so you really did know what to expect and what was the norm.





Also, I found the Happiest baby on the Block book helpful (taught me how to swaddle and soothe my newborn), and a book I read on infant sleep that I can't remember the name of (Healthy Sleep Habit...maybe?)





Of course no one book is going to TELL you how to parent your child, but I think people that don't read at all are really doing themselves a disservice. I am an avid reader to begin with, so I enjoy reading other case studies and having solid information to help me figure out what works and what doesn't and why.





ETA:


You HAVE to take what you read and decipher what makes the most sense, not believe everything you read blindly. I think that is a no-brainer!!!





What books are TEX and Mrs Hererra reading??? I never read one that said to coddle a tantrum. There are a lot of good books out there that are NOT crap.When raising kids do any parents read parenting books?
The only books I have read were the ';What to Expect'; books. I read the pregnancy one religiously while I was pregnant to make sure everything I was going through was normal. I have the one for the first year as well, but have only flipped through it to look up certain things on occasion or to look at upcoming milestones. I think you can learn more about the best way to be a parent by observing your children and their specific needs. Parenting is trial and error.
With my first I had a few people buy me books because I like to read and they thought I would enjoy them. I read some and thought they were the most ridiculous things. When I read a book that says coddle your children when they're throwing a tantrum or 4-5 is ok to still not be potty trained. I have to throw that book out and be a real parent who wants a responsible child. The only book I ever found helpful was Dr. James Dobson's The Strong Willed Child. Otherwise I think they are full of crap and offer horrible parenting advice. I can always tell by the kids who's parents read and follow the books, because their children and ill behaved, immature and very dependent on their parents. I would rather be a real parent than a psycho babble parent.
Lol, I was too busy reading nursery rhymes and stories to my children to read parenting books. Finally, when the kids were older, I took a child psychology course (my major was psychology) and discovered many of the theories were bunk. I am sure you COULD find some good suggestions in them but I hope nobody sets their parenting style strictly by what is in them, considering many are not written by professionals and many more are written by professionals who didn't have children at the time they were written.
Quite honestly I don't read them at all. There is no ';one size fits all'; for kids and children are NOT going to fit the mold of what some book says ever. There are some helpful ones out there that will give you an idea of physical milestones for baby and pregnancy that have valid information in them, but even those you don't need every single one on the shelf. The only two I would ever recommend are:





What to Expect in the First Five Years by the American Academy of Pediatrics





What to Expect While Your Expecting series





These were good to find out what was normal around certain ages and what was upcoming. The AAP book was especially helpful in the edition I have because it had a basic explanation and breakdown for common childhood illnesses and conditions and what to do if your child comes down with them. It explained everything simply and concise.
Some of them are great. Especially positive parenting ones. Secrets to happy children is a good one. Steve Biddulph. My other books are packed because we moved house.





Some people say they are fine - depends on what method the parents used, and what definition of fine is. someone may be successful career person but totally stuffed in the area of people skills and social situations.





A lot of adults don't trust people and have trouble building good lasting and valuable relationships because of the fear based methods of parenting used upon them.





Thats just what I have observed
I've read many of them, but I take it with a grain of salt. If there's something I don't agree with, then I won't read that particular section. But if it's something I find to be interesting or a good idea then I use the advice.
Those books are just like this place, Take what you like and leave the rest behind. You can get some decent ideas from them but anyone who leans on any one of them to much will be headed for trouble.
I've read a ton of parenting books, I also took child development classes while I was pregnant with my first son. I still mess up a lot.
nope never read any


i have a 20mth old and a 5mth old
Child psychology books and parenting books don't hold a candle to experiencing the real thing. Most of these ';experts'; are over glorified and just have a bunch of fancy titles. Degrees and book knowledge does not automatically make one smart or educated. When I need guidance in my parenting, I ask other moms who have been through the same thing and I pray.





The only time I might find a parenting book helpful is if I need one to base the developmental milestones on. But even then, they are inconsistent with each other and all kids develop at their own pace. I'm not a firm believer in child psychology books. I'm a firm believer in seeking the advice of moms who are older and wiser if I'm stumped.





Many of today's parenting books and child psychology suggest things like telling your child no is detrimental to their mental health and that punishments are never necessary. They teach that in order to ';discipline'; a 10 year old having a tantrum we should coddle them and teach them to use big girl words... I don't buy into it. Not for a minute.





I have read some Christian based parenting books such as ';A Mother's Heart'; by Jean Fleming and ';Grace Based Parenting';. Both of those comply with my beliefs and offer real, authentic, good parenting pointers.

No comments:

Post a Comment