Friday, November 25, 2011

How does your background and up bringing effect your parenting?

I was raised by a woman who has a masters in education, specifically in child development and Ruiker's (Adlerian) philosophy which is natural consequences, she also taught parenting and worked with parents who needed to learn proper parenting techniques as mandated by the court system. She was the only one successful in our state with her program, and it was wildly successful in keeping parents with their kids, which means parents learned from her.





So, I pretty much have an expert on call and I have what I learned from her. She wasn't perfect when she was raising us, no one is, but I think her children are improving on her work. It has been terribly helpful for me, especially since we weren't around little babies or kids that much growing up since the cousins were 1,000 miles away and no nieces or nephews either. While I am a biochemist and my husband is a web developer, we benefit from expert learning that I can see not that many folks have. That doesn't mean we don't make our mistakes, there is a huge learning curve in parenting, but I think it's easier for us then most.How does your background and up bringing effect your parenting?
My parents were very different from each other (everything including parenting) so I try and stay on the same page with my husband. I was a mellow kid and really never got in trouble and my mom was anti-spanking so I went into motherhood not ever expecting to spank. When my oldest entered his late 2's and 3's, that idea got chucked out the window. I do try and expose them to a lot of different ideas, beliefs and cultures as my parents did and it was a good thing.How does your background and up bringing effect your parenting?
My parents never expected much of me and never encouraged me to focus on anything. They wanted me to get good grades, but that was it. So, I ended up with a worthless liberal arts degree. They were financially secure and always told me that I could get any job I wanted (I was ';set';) but ended up not talking to me anymore 4 years ago when they could no longer control me. Quite simply, all they wanted me to do was go to church, sit on the porch with them and gossip about the neighbors, and go out to eat. That's all the ever did and still do (to my knowledge).





I never learned how to cook or do a lot of run of the mill things. I was babied. So, from a young age, I've had my daughter learn how to take care of her own needs and figure things out for herself. I patiently teach her and encourage her, but it's her responsibility to take care of and remember her own things. She also has to do one physical activity and take a musical instrument.
I think that I am blessed to have had many different circumstances in my life, and because I am multifaceted (coined by chickenfarmer!), I am able to parent pretty open-mindedly.


Have been poor, have had wealth.


Have been happily married, and have been a single mom.


have studied many cultures and religions, am knowledgeable and accepting about them, teach my children to do the same.
My kids were raised with the same values and morals I was but parented in a very different style, probably because of the times just being different. So I believe the basic core of the person you were raised to be is passed onto your children as it's really all you know.
Single parent household: I do my best to be exactly opposite of how my mother raised us. I try to be fair and take the time to listen while being firm and consistent. I almost never raise my voice and never make threats or call my kids names.
I think your experiences play a huge role in your parenting style. I try not to do the things my parents did as far as how I treat my kids. I try to incorporate the culture and the experiences they she shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment