Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Does anyone know of any REALLY good overprotective parenting articles?

i will be 18 in 3 months, and my curfew is 10pm, i cant go to parties where there is drinking, i cant go to boys houses, i cant have friends over when they arent home, they have to know where i am at all times, we arent religious, and i havent done anything to lose their trust, any articles that i could present to them would be much appreciated!


thanks so much!Does anyone know of any REALLY good overprotective parenting articles?
I do think that your 10 p.m. curfew is ridiculous, at least for weekends. When I was 17 my Friday/Saturday curfew was midnight. If you have a friend that your parents really like and approve of, you should have your mom call her mom and discuss what an appropriate curfew is. If your friends can stay out later, then it's really hard when you have to be home first.





Without being whiny (whining will only make them dig their heels in further, because it shows you are still very childish and not mature enough for a later curfew) talk to them about moving you later if you haven't missed curfew in a long time.





Here's some articles:





http://www.wnetwork.com/articles/relatio…





http://www.helium.com/tm/71558/thinking-…





http://home.istar.ca/~bcffpa/bcffpa/page…





As for the rest - going to parties where there is drinking is generally a bad idea. There were FIVE kids from my graduating class who died due to drinking-related incidents (one drowning, two vehicular accidents, one alcohol poisoning, one fall from a balcony) and no parent needs to go through that.





If you can't have friends over when they aren't there - sorry, it's their house. They get to decide who gets to be there and who doesn't. Even after you're 18 - unless you pay rent, you still don't get to decide who comes over.





Going to a boy's house should be OK if there's a parent present. Going to a girl's house when there are no parents present should be red-flagged though.





Knowing where you are at all times isn't bad. Are you ever anywhere that you wouldn't want them knowing about? They worry, they're allowed to worry. When I was in high school I was required to phone home whenever plans changed or we went somewhere new (like went from the movies to a restaurant for coffee) and this was before cell phones, so it was always, ';Hang on, Elizabeth has to find the pay phone.'; It's an inconvenience for sure, but when I followed the rules to the letter I could say, ';I am mature and responsible because I don't break the rules,'; and I could give specific examples.





Take it slowly. You will be graduating in a few months and then you can move out and be on your own (which isn't all it's cracked up to be, I swear.)Does anyone know of any REALLY good overprotective parenting articles?
I think this is a good one, I didn't read it though. Thought it might be a good one because of the title...? Read it and see what you think.


http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn…





Hmm.. after reading the other answer.. I think I may have misunderstood your question..? Oh well, I still think that is a good article about strict parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment