Saturday, August 21, 2010

What is the strangest parenting method you've seen?

Was it affective or not? I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, but I'm curious to see what others have observed and feel is strange.





My brother-in-law married a girl from Finland where it is common to bundle babies up and put them outside to sleep at night. Most of the time it is for half an hour or so, but some leave their children out all night because the fresh air helps them sleep better.What is the strangest parenting method you've seen?
I loved the following method: A five year old was throwing a tantrum and the babysitter just flung herself on the ground and started screaming, too. The child was so embarrassed that he behaved for the rest of the day.





My parents had me sleeping outside, too. On the balcony. - I'm planning to do that with my baby as well. But only when I'm around and awake.What is the strangest parenting method you've seen?
I don't know if this is a ';method'; but the weirdest thing I've personally seen is a mother pick up a pacifier off a nasty shop floor, stick it in her mouth and then pop in back into her baby's mouth. I've seen this done quite a few times and it never ceases to disgust me.
When the parents don't punish well enough or don't go through with punishments.


The worst is when the child gets a 4 minute time out and wont sit and be quiet so ';its ok to get up now'; after only 2 minutes.





Thats only teaching the child they don't really have a punishment.
for me its when people put soap in kids mouths. thats been around for ages, i guess, but to me that one is alittle weird. oh well....
Funny this question came up. I was reading an interview with Lou Doillon (Jane Birkin's daughter) who described her (and her mother's) parenting style as ';African';.





Basically, the child is made to fit the parents' lifestyle, not the other way around. Her son goes everywhere with her, even nightclubs (?!?) as she went everywhere with her mother. She said even slept in her mom's famous Hermes bag on modeling shoots.





On the surface I can't quite decide on the positives or negatives, but it sounds interesting.
My mother who is from Europe told us that it's common to leave children alone in strollers while the parent goes into a supermarket. Also she left us in our cribs when we were infants to run an errand. It's not strange or wrong. European children grow up as loved, sane and intelligent as children in other parts of the world.
That's common in most of Scandinavia, honestly. Let the baby 'take the air' so to speak.





Drives me nuts too.
i have heard only once of a babysitter also throwing a fit on the floor when the child does and then the child gets embarrassed and does not do it anymore.


i thought it was the weirdest thing but didn't realize i guess it can be very effective.





but i think the thing about leaving a baby out in the cold to get 'fresh air' does not seem safe or right to me though and makes me uncomfortable to know that happens. perhaps in those lands they are safe there but i keep thinking they could be kidnapped though.
the strangest method ive known of is the one where the parents dont impose any sort of rules or discipline for fear it might hurt the kids feelings.....please
oh my - Chloe 74 - I heard about that, too! I've heard that in Iceland, they bundle the babys in their buggys and 'park' the buggy outside of the store while they shop. Very 'normal' and safe there - but I couldn't see doing that around here (Virginia).





The strangest thing I think I've ever heard was a friend of mine's ex wife. Their two daughters are not allowed to come out of their room until their mother comes in to get them.


They had potties in their room that they used if they had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Even though they were very potty trained - 3 and 5 years old - they were not allowed to leave their bedroom - not even to go potty!
where the child makes all the rules for himself and any type of correction can cause emotional damage





not affective because no boundaries were taught stayed in trouble at school
Wow, can't do that in Canada, a little cold out there. :)





Yesterday just learnt about the mother who sprayed her two year old with a pressure washer, and apparently she uses a water bottle at home. That is the most strangest method i have heard of. I used to use the spray bottle for my cat not a child.
My aunt and uncle are major softies. Their son is 8 and he got suspended from his school for telling another kid to **** himself and threatened his teacher and broke another kid's arm. Their excuse? ';Oh, they just don't understand him.'; Then they felt sorry that he would be home with nothing for the 10 days he was suspended so they went out and bought him a brand new PS3 to go with his Xbox 360 and Wii...

No comments:

Post a Comment