Saturday, August 21, 2010

What skills and attributes does a first time older mother bring to parenting?

knowledge and experience in life. However, be careful because knowledge does not mean you know everything about children. (like everyone does, right???) Just be open to new ideas. Reading ';Parenting'; magazine or ';Fun for Kids'; will help aid this knowledge base that you already have.What skills and attributes does a first time older mother bring to parenting?
It depends on the individual. You really can't generalise. Parenting isn't about age. The stereotype might say that younger parents have more energy and more connection with their child but less maturity and experience and financial stability, whilst older parents have the maturity, experience and wisdom, and financial stability, but lacks the same energy and bond as a younger parent. It's rubbish. I know parents of all ages - I know some young ones who are as lazy as sin, who are wise beyond their years, who are very well off, who are entirely unconnected with their child. I know some older ones who have the energy of ten toddlers, who are as immature as a teenager, who are living on the breadline, who have the most amazing bond with their kids. There is just no point in tarring all with one brush based on their age. Each person brings their own skills and attributes to parenting regardless of their age.What skills and attributes does a first time older mother bring to parenting?
I'm an older parent, 32 and 34 when my children were born, and i feel I have more patience. We all know how trying children can be and I feel I tolerate it better than i would have as a mother in my 20's. I also feel I can provide more financially and emotionally to my children at this stage of life. I'm not in the me me stage of life as many are in their 20's, but in my 30's was more ready to focus on someone else. This is just my opinion and I know everyone is different.
  • clinique
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment