Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What is some ';bad'; parenting advice you have received?

When one of my daughter's was less than 2 weeks old an old friend of mine suggested that I needed to ';train'; her to go longer between feedings. She was basically suggesting that I let my helpless less than 2 week old baby cry if she woke up hungry before a certain amount of time has passed. Of course I threw that advice out the window.What is some ';bad'; parenting advice you have received?
That I should ignore my sons crying at 3 weeks old cause he's getting spoiled - I mean, come one!! A newborn crys because its their only way to communicate there needs!! - and comfort is a legitimate need at that age too!!!





I also saw a couple of people on here advise one woman to let her four week old cry it out in the night, thats just terrible!!What is some ';bad'; parenting advice you have received?
Bad Baby Parenting Advice:


*give him a spoon full of plain yogurt before bed to help him sleep better


*he only needs to eat every 2-3 hours, so you don't have to feed him more often than that





Bad General Parenting Advice:


*he's going to walk all over you if you never punish him


*you need to be using time outs


*he needs to learn that you're the boss and you're in charge
When I was trying to BF, my LC told me it was better to let my son (who was 2 weeks old) cry out of hunger then to give him a bottle of formula. I ignored that one.





My mom told me to put cereal in my sons bottle to help him sleep better at night. I ignored that one too.





My friend told me not to let my son stand on his legs because it would cause him to be bow legged. Ignored too.
My mother told me to give my newborn son water. That didn't sound like a good idea to me, and when I asked the nurse at the hospital, she also said it wasn't a great idea. Everyone also told me that because I carried my son around pretty much all the time when he was a newborn that he was going to be spoiled. Now hes 9 months old and hardly ever wants to be held. I say, take everything with a grain of salt and do what you think is best.
My Mother in law told me to just send her to bed without dinner one night cause she was throwing a fit while eatting. I said then she wont sleep through the night like she normaly does and she said so babys dont sleep though the night. But my dughter has been since she was a month old. I would never send my child to bed without dinner at 3 months old maybe 10 yrs but not as a baby.
let he cry it out cause he's getting spoiled at 2months old..


c'mon.. no he's not..





i'm sorry i had to laugh at some of the *bad* advice some people got cause i did them and never had a problem at all..


one of them is putting cereal in my sons bottle.. never once did this cause me a problem..
Quote: When you're baby is sick or restless, rub liquor on their gums and/or on the insides of the cheeks. When on the road or on the go, dip the pacifier in spirits.








W





T





F








!


!


!


!
My step mother told me I should give my daughters-age 10 mos, and 2 1/2 years baby tylenol each night. It helps settle them down. She said that is what she does with her kids. Yeah, I am really going to unnecessarily pump drugs in to my kids.
The worst advice I got was to put rice in my daughter bottle at 1 month of age. I was a new Mom and even I knew this was wrong. This woman was a mother of 4 and a grandma.
Don't co-sleep, let him cry, start solids at four months. No one really has the guts to tell me to do them but my husband's family strongly insinuates at times.
When my son was 6 months old my MIL told my to put him on skim milk because he was slow gaining weight he is also allergic to milk. She says that's what she did with her 2 children to help them gain weight.
I was told to get the baby to sleep through the night, I need to put them in there crib from day one and let them cry a few nights.....after this, they will sleep through the night!





How horrible!!
To let my son CIO so he'd sleep in his crib. I heard this from EVERYONE I know IRL.. It just went against everything my husband %26amp; I felt was right.
Any advice that goes: ';Well, I did (something the doctor says not to) and my son turned out fine.'; Argh.
Put cereal in his bottle


Bite him back


Spank him (at age 2)
i used to put rice cereal in my daughters bottle and she's fine!!!
Put cereal in his milk... he was only a month old, geez.
honestly, putting cereal in their bottle isnt a bad thing. it helps fill their bellies more. and as long as its not like mush it will go down fine and the baby will be happy and full therefore sleep longer. and when your kid is the one biting everyone at school, biting them back will teach them a lesson. my friends mom bit her back when she was young and she swears it was like a wake up call. yeah, it seems mean, but obviously youre an adult, dont break the skin or anything but... it works.


i just wanted to put that out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment