Saturday, August 21, 2010

What's the craziest advice you ever got on any aspect of parenting?

The craziest thing that we were ever told was by hubbies grandmother...she'd had a stroke a couple years before this, but one weekend she stayed at our house. She couldn't really speak and it bothered her to hear us raise our voices to our girls...so a couple weeks later we received a little note in the mail from her. It said...instead or yelling, when your children do something wrong take a dixie cup of cold water and throw it into their face. We laughed at the thought of doing that.What's the craziest advice you ever got on any aspect of parenting?
A friend of mine told me to spank my kid if she is out of line. I would never do that...What's the craziest advice you ever got on any aspect of parenting?
Hi ~ omg, the dixie cup story made me laugh!


Someone on my husband's side was ranting at a family function about how she didn't believe in spanking her children when they were growing up, as she felt it was cruel. (She loves to take credit for being such a seasoned caregiver, and revels in doling out timeless advice to expectant mothers ~ gag.)





Later, when asked what methods she used to discipline, she said she kept a spray bottle of vinegar and simply sprayed it in their mouth when they misbehaved.





What an absolute nutjob! Truth be told, it was my mother in law. Truth be told, I'd secretly love to spray vinegar in HER face. That would help me get out a lot of aggression I feel toward this awful woman. Thanks for letting me vent. :-)
hahaha you know with certain children that would actually be effective... but then so would a smack and a go to your room. lol.





the craziest would have to be all the ridiculous pregnancy myths people swore by...





dont lift your arms up high because it could strangle your unborn child. what moron made that one up???





rub lotion all over your stomache all the time to prevent stretch marks, lol waste of time. your stomach is going to do what it wants. its scientifically proven that moisturising does not prevent stretch marks lol. it might soothe a sore tummy. and the firming lotion may help slightly firm it, but rubbing in anything aint gonna do nothing. lol.





etc etc etc.
My hubby's parents are strong believers in whipping children with belts, and assume we will do the same.


Needless to say, I will never let my daughter be alone in a room with either one of them ever.
That sounds cruel. A little discipline doesn't hurt every now and again. Who would throw cold water on their children? I think that sounds a little silly.





i'd rather ground them than throwing water at them!
Actually I find it crazy when people who don't even have kids themselves try to give parenting advice lol.
I was nursing my baby on a bench in Wal-Mart and my husband was eating some chips. She said, I wouldn't eat those while you're nursing, your baby might choke! My husband and I died laughing after she walked away.
I'm looking forward to crazy advice.
Hahaha. I was told to put alcohol in his bottle.
1st- That I could ';spoil'; my infant by holding it too much, esp. when it cried. / My disagreement: An infant has spent 9 months feeling close, tight, warm imbrace of womb. I felt they should be weaned from this comfort instead of feeling that ';free-fall'; of sudden shock at once. After checking for pain, dirty diaper or feeding needs, if my child just needed soothing comfort, I held them close to my heart. Like Native Americans, I held them in sling or carrier as I did my house work. Even though infant, I'd talk out what I was doing. This kept them quiet, eyes roaming %26amp; I assume info. getting into their starving little minds to take in their environment. When they could walk, it was their choice to ask to be held. It was pretty constant to 2 y.o. (I think that they just wanted to be at my eye level to hear what I was explaining to them.) Both children, at 2 year mark, in one day, were able to release the need to be held. It was if they had such confidence that they could come to me for comfort that they didn't NEED to. People said they'd learn to be ';clingy.'; It was the opposite. Those kids ran around boldy exploring their world from that singular day that they felt comfortable enough to detach.


2nd- I needed to get child on a feeding schedule. / My 1st required nursing every 15-45 min., my 2nd only every six hours. I felt that their body was growing at a rate that they would feel the craving for food as their metabolism determined. They both developed at good rate %26amp; doctor was always amazed at how healthy their blood was.


3rd - I should wean from breast to bottle by six months. / My doctor told me that they were so healthy that I should let them breast feed until they showed a desire to reach for food b/c breast milk was specifically made to develop the grey matter of the brain. So the longer at breast, the better. I gave into peer pressure w/ 1st child at 7 mo. but moved her to organic, hand processed foods. Her IQ as adult is ';Very Superior.'; With Son, I stood my ground %26amp; he finished breast at 1 year. His adult IQ is ';Genius.';





I think that supplying them w/ most nutrient dense food for brain %26amp; constantly providing mental stimulation speaking out my thought processes as I carried them around were key to this development. AND it's a great bonding experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment